Saturday, October 3, 2009

Traveling Inward




May 2009...

I feel as if I belong here. After a gorgeous breakfast al fresco set on the grass outside Il Colombaio, the Ladies have gone to the Mille Miglia auto rally rolling through Radicofani. I stay behind to sink in some roots, and refresh my spirit in nature, human silence and retreat. I want more of this. I need more of this.

Since the day I knew I would be coming here, I have been craving sacred silence and prayer in the Lord’s created world, here in Italy, the birthplace of one of my spiritual heroes, St. Francis of Assisi. I am Christian, Catholic, and my spirituality is deeply Franciscan. I sit facing the valley and do what I have been longing to do. Here, outside in the hills washed in the rays of the morning sun, with only the sounds of Creation, I pray. Deep, silent, centering prayer, in a cathedral of cypresses and olive trees, ministered by avian angels. The swallows swoop and flutter, the cuckoos call in the distance. The valley spreads out before me, a wide altar prepared for holy communion.

My God, Glorious God, I love this view. I love this silence. No bustling, no planning. Just me, dissolving into this blessed landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment