Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Arte al Pomodoro

We’re all taking a rest day at Fattoria La Palazzina’s Il Colombaio. Time spent journaling, resting by the pool, reading, soaking up the landscape.

Priscilla paints a lovely watercolor of Il Colombaio. After a few hours, I wander over to take a peek. She tells me she’s taken some “tomato slices” with her rendering, and for a few seconds I’m lost. I see no sign of food. Must be the watercolors. I’m not a painter, so slicing tomatoes is lost on me as a technique. I lean in eagerly to decipher what she’s done. Apparently, the tomatoes are lost on Priscilla as well, because when I repeat the words, she looks up at me like the dog in the old RCA Victor ad, all cocked head and quizzical. In speaking them myself, I realize that ohhh, her actual words must have been “artistic license.” The afternoon sun has fuzzled my brain and ears. After a good laugh over my goof and gullibility, we vow that the phrase will become a joke for the rest of the trip.

Priscilla’s watercolor is beautiful, with or without tomato license.

No comments:

Post a Comment